Canby Business Home >> Project Planner

New Commercial and Industrial Buildings

The City of Canby is working hard to develop Canby's business sector and we're very pleased that you've decided to locate your business here. We know the building process can be complicated so we've developed this guide as part of our effort to make it as easy as possible. It will tell you what steps are required and what the timeline will be.

In Canby, an innovative new tool called OpenCounter helps businesses get up and running more quickly and easily. It provides fast, easy and comprehensive information on the Canby business location process online 24/7.
It asks the right questions, in the right order, so business owners see the requirements, fees, and processing time for their business and proposed location. Then businesses will receive a customized report based on their specific needs.

City of Canby
Summary of Land Use Building Process
For Commercial/Industrial Buildings

1. Getting started. Start by talking to a City planner about your Project. We will provide you with more specific information after we’ve learned more details. For instance: You may need to hold a neighborhood meeting and attach a meeting summary with your application. Also, permit costs and approval times could be reduced by 30+ days if your project is in the Canby Pioneer Industrial Park or Downtown, and it can meet all code review standards and criteria for the Type II process.
2. Traffic Study. For most projects, this step will take 6 to 8 weeks to complete. It is wise to start early because the study is required as part of the site and design review application.
3. Pre-application Conference. We strongly recommend you take advantage of our pre-application meeting. Here you can talk to all of Canby’s utility and service providers and get the information you need to draw up your site and utility plans. Before the meeting we’ll need to know where you’re locating, review a preliminary concept drawing of your proposal, understand how your site will be laid out, and what your utility and service needs will be. We can almost always hold this meeting in two weeks after you file the application.
4. Site and Design Review application. Most new commercial or industrial building of any size (except accessory structures and Type II applications) requires a public hearing and approval from the Planning Commission. This process is called the Site and Design Review. The application contains the information you’ll need. The timeline on the Site and Design Review depends on how many other applications have been filed, but generally your hearing will be at least five weeks after your application is filed. If the Commission issues an oral decision for approval at the hearing, it will still take about a month more to adopt a written decision and to wait for the appeal period to end. At the end of the appeal period, the City will issue you an approval letter which you can take to Clackamas County to obtain a building permit.
5. Pre-construction Conference. Prior to construction, you will need all of the utility and service providers to sign off on your site and construction plans. Planning staff will help you identify the agencies that will be involved in your project. For small projects, we encourage you to work directly with them throughout the process to make sure your plans are acceptable. For large projects we strongly encourage you to schedule a pre-construction meeting to have your complete plan reviewed, stamped and approved. This meeting can be held any time after your plan is approved.
6. City Approval/Clackamas County Building permits. You may submit your building permit application to Clackamas County at any time following the Planning Commission’s initial approval of your project. However, your building permit will not be issued until the City has given you an approval letter and all City fees are paid. A copy of the City’s approval letter and an approved site plan must be taken to Clackamas County for release of the building permit.
7. Business license. You’re almost there! You’ll need a business license to operate your business in Canby. The Business License application package is available at City Hall or at The application needs to be signed by the Planning Department, Building Department, Police Department, and the Fire Department. Your building must pass its final inspection before a Business License is issued.

Project Planner

The following is a list of the most common steps required to construct a new building in Canby. Details and timelines may vary depending on your specific project.



About 12 to 14 days before pre-application meeting. Submit pre-application materials to City Planning Department.
Prior to submitting land use application. Attend pre-application meeting.
Typically, at least 5 to 8 weeks before Planning Commission hearing date Submit Site and Design Review application.
Prior to submitting a site and design review application. Send out notice for neighborhood meeting.
Prior to submitting a site and design review application. Hold neighborhood meeting & submit meeting minutes to City.
Minimum 10 days before PC hearing date.      Post Public Notice sign on property. (City will provide notice.)
Planning Commission hearings are held the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month.   Attend Design Review hearing at Planning Commission. 
After all providers have signed off on utility plans. Submit preconstruction plans & hold meeting.
After initial decision from Planning Commission. Submit building permit application to Clackamas County and Erosion Control application to City.
Any time Submit plumbing, electrical, and fire/life safety permit applications to Clackamas County.
Any time Obtain Storm Water permit from DEQ, if needed.
Any time Submit Wastewater survey form
Next PC meeting after hearing date. (2nd or 4th Monday of month) Written decision signed by Planning Commission
10 days after written decision signed. Land use appeal period ends.
Building permit cannot be issued until land use appeal period has ended. Obtain Planning approval letter from City and take to Clackamas County to obtain building permit, begin construction.
A Business License cannot be issued until a final building inspection is approved by Clackamas County. Obtain City Business License prior to opening business. Contact City Hall (503 266-0601 - Fee $50.
Many of these steps can be done concurrently to save time, and we will work with you to identify all of the possible time savings. We've seen projects break ground less than three months after submittal of land use applications but usually the time frame is more like four months or more.

The Canby Planning Department will be your first point of contact in the process, and staff will assist you through the preliminary Building process. You will also find many resources at the Canby Area Chamber of Commerce and Canby Business Revitalization & Development (see contact information page). Again, thank you for choosing Canby. We're sure you won't regret it.

Contact Information for Constructing a New Building in Canby:

City of Canby Planning Department
The Canby Planning Department handles land use applications, development services and property related issues.
Hours: Mon–Fri 8am-5pm
222 NE 2nd Ave, 2nd Floor
PO Box 930
Canby OR 97013
Phone: 503-266-7001

Application Forms, Planning & Zoning Codes and Contact Information online at:

City of Canby Economic Development Department
Programs and resources to help Businesses and encourage commercial and industrial development.
Hours: Mon–Fri 8am-5pm
222 NE 2nd Ave, 2nd Floor
PO Box 930 Canby OR 97013
Phone: 503-266-0701

Canby -City Hall
(Business licenses)
Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-5pm
222 NE 2nd Ave
PO Box 930
Canby OR 97013
Phone: 503-266-4021
Fax: 503-266-7961

City of Canby Public Works Department
(Sanitary and storm sewer, streets, erosion control)
Hours: Mon-Fri 7:30am-4:30pm
1470 NE Territorial Road,
Canby OR  97013
Phone: 503-266-0798
Fax: 503-266-7238

City of Canby Sewer & Street Maintenance
222 NE 2nd Ave
Canby, OR 97013

Curt McLeod, Contract City Engineer
6655 SW Hampton, STE 210
Portland OR 97223
Phone: 503-684-3478
Fax: 503-624-8247

NW Natural Gas
(Natural gas service)
3123 Broadway NE
Salem OR 97303
Phone: 800-422-4012

WAVE Broadband
353 NW 2nd St
Canby, OR 97013
Mon-Fri 8am-5pm
(Closed 12:45 to 2pm daily)
Phone: 866-928-3123

Canby Fire District
Hours: Mon–Fri 8am-5pm
221 S Pine St
Canby OR 97013
Phone: 503-266-5851
Fax: 503-266-1320

Clackamas County - Permits
(Building, plumbing, electrical, fire & life, safety review)
Lobby:  9 am-4pm Mon-Thurs
Office:  7am-6pm  Mon-Thurs
Building Codes Permits Specialist
Phone: 503-742-4240
Fax: 503-742-4741
Inspection Request Line

The County has on-line permitting and forms:

Oregon Department of Transportation

(OR 99E issues)

Department of Environment Quality (Stormwater)
811 SW 6th Avenue
Portland OR 97204
Phone: 503-229-5945
Fax: 503-229-5DEQ

DEQ has a lot of useful information on-line at

Canby Area Chamber of Commerce

(Business networking and development)
191 SE 2nd Avenue
Canby OR 97013
Phone: 503-266-4600
Fax: 503-266-4338

Canby Utility
(Water and electric department)
Hours: Mon–Friday 7:30am-4:30pm
1470 NE Territorial Road
Canby OR 97013
Phone: 503-266-1156
Fax: 503-263-8621

Canby Telcom
(Telephone service)
Hours: 8 AM-5:30 PM Monday-Friday
190 SE 2nd Ave.
Canby OR 97013
Phone: 503-266-8111



City of Canby